Welcome to the spiritual and historic heart of Santa Clara University
Historic Mission Santa Clara is a consecrated Roman Catholic church situated on the campus of Santa Clara University. First established in 1777, the Franciscan Order handed the Mission over to the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits) in 1851, who then started Santa Clara College, the first institution of higher education in California. The Mission has always stood at the center of the campus’ religious and spiritual life, and it continues to welcome Roman Catholic liturgy, spiritual observance, and other activities appropriate to the University’s purpose as a Catholic, Jesuit institution of higher learning. The University’s Campus Ministry and Mission Church staff, along with the Santa Clara Jesuit Community collaborate in the liturgical and pastoral activities conducted in and around the Mission Church.
Mission Santa Clara celebrates 243 Years
Mission Santa Clara was founded on January 12, 1777. This month we celebrate the 243rd Anniversary of the founding of our historic Mission. After a long and arduous conservation effort that was completed in October of 2019, we look forward to another 243 years!